A Unique Woman

When someone told me my name meant peace, I was surprised, because the reason I got the name was not its meaning. Many people do not understand why Chinese people who come to America like getting an English name. One reason is that it is easy for native speakers easy to remember and pronounce it. Another reason is Chinese people’s original names are named by an elder member of a family, when Chinese people migrant to the United States, they have a chance to pick their own names. My name is Irene. Before I got this name, I tried to get other English names, such as Jennifer and Bonny. Over the past two years, I had changed my English name a few times until I found Irene. It is like before you meet your ture love, you will see many passers-by.


Irene Adler is a character from the BBC TV series Sherlock Holmes. Sherlock Holmes is my top idol. Irene is the only one woman that Sherlock cannot handle. The most impressive scene to me is Sherlock and Irene’s first meeting. Sherlock is good at observing from details. For example, people do not need to tell Sherlock about their jobs or family, Sherlock can figure it out from people’s clothing and behavior. However, Sherlock met his Waterloo when he first met Irene. Sherlock and his friend Watson were waiting in a room to meet Irene. Irene finally showed up but was nude. Sherlock was shocked and dared to not look at her, but Irene presented herself normal liked in dress. The final result was Sherlock and Watson ran away. Irene Adler is a very unique woman, one of a kind. People who watch the movie will believe that she is as smart as she is beautiful.





I like my name so much, because when I want to inherit Irene Adler’s good character. I want to be an independent, self-confident woman that everyone will admire. 


Comments

  1. I know this drama and I have saw couple episodes of it but not too much. I know Sherlock is the most famous detective in the world. If he can not handle this woman, then you really pick a good name from a intelligent woman.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very curious that what is your Chinese's name. I know this is a very famous movie, but I never see it. Now I want to see this movie because I want to know the character of Irene.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so lucky to have the chance by selecting your English name from your favorite and meaningful drama. I am also curious what your Chinese name is. Do you like your Chinese name?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! Sherlock Holmes is one of my favorite idol too. I think Irene Adler is the most cleverest woman in this TV show. It was great that you pick Irene to become your English name.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Irene, it is an attractive name even I met you in real person not a character from the movie. I have to watch this movie and discover more about Irene character.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is so interesting about your experience of looking for an English name.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment