My Two Names


My Two Names 
I was nameless for a good week or so after was born. My parents had this huge controversy between them before and after I was born. my mother wanted to name me Testi which meant joy in my native country. On the other hand, my dad wanted to call me Amir which meant prince in the Arabic language, there was not a name that they both can agree on, but my parents had almost agreed on the name Mohammed because, on the same month of my birth, my grandfather on my father's side had passed away. Thank god they did not name me Mohammed because if I was named Mohammed and came to the United States my name would have been Mohammed Mohammed. Imagine how people would look at me when I am telling them my name is the same as my last name. In my native country, people hardly use their last name, so my parents did not put that in their perspective. However,  the disagreement between my parents was still going even though I was born, so my father decided to put the name that he wanted for me on my birth certificate without telling my mother. Finally, my name became Amir officially on my passport, school, and Id. And my mother could not do anything about it, but she never not at all called me by the name Amir. At no time in my entire life heard my mother saying the name Amir. Therefore, my mother in her power made the name she wanted for me Testi to be called inside the house and by our family which worked for her. For this reason, I have two names Testi as for home and Amir for the outside world.



Comments

  1. Where does your name "Testi" comes from?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is there any meaning of your name "Testi"? Why did your mother insist to use this name?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great story behind your name. Does your mother felt angry when she knew your father put your name as Amir without telling her?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did anyone call you Testi except your mother?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your story and I want to know more about your story. So, which name you like the most?

    ReplyDelete

  6. Have you ever introduced your name as Testi to other people that you met in the outside world?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment